Water & Sewer FAQ's

To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Read Guidlines For Establishing or Discontinuing Water and Sewer Service. Fill out the Water/Sewer Service Customer Agreement, or you may call our customer service office at (843) 838-2400 to request that a form be faxed or mailed to you. Once we have received the completed form the account will be transferred into your name effective with the date you request on the Agreement. Because the District bills in arrears based on water consumption, we cannot retroactively transfer an account and we recommend that you complete the form and return it to our office at least a week prior to your closing date.

Typically, the general contractor building your home will request service and pay the associated tap fees so that water service is available during construction. If you would like the initial service in your name instead of the contractor’s, you may complete the Contractor/Owner Application for New Service and the Water/Sewer Service Customer Agreementand submit them to our office.

The best way to prevent leaks when you are going to be away from the service location for an extended period of time is to turn the water off. There are two ways this can be accomplished. You may call our office and request that your service be turned off temporarily. Keep in mind that you will still be billed the base quarterly charges and the District charges a $45.00 reconnection fee for this service. A second option is to have a shut-off valve installed on your service line, so you can turn your water on and off at will. Reset your irrigation system to run less often and for shorter periods of time, or shut it down completely, during the winter months.

First, check to make sure that you do not have any leaks. See Water Conservation Tips. Many times, an abrupt spike in your water consumption is an indication that you have a leak you are not aware of, e.g., a dripping hose bib or faucet or a leaking toilet flapper. Another place you should check is the irrigation system. If you have a leak underground in your irrigation system, you could be wasting thousands of gallons of water without being aware of it. If a sprinkler head is broken and the system turns on, the flow from the broken sprinkler head is much greater than normal, usually causing some mild flooding of the surrounding area. If you do not live in the home, this problem can go unnoticed for several months. If you do experience a plumbing problem that causes an extremely high water usage, you may qualify for an adjustment on your bill. Contact our office for details.

The District office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We are closed on holidays. If you experience a leak, or see what appears to be a leak on someone else's property during normal business hours, and you would like the water service turned off at the water meter, please call our office at (843) 838-2400. Upon receiving a report of a leak, a member of our field staff will respond to the location to turn the water service off. If you call outside our office hours, please call (843) 838-2500, and your call will be forwarded to the field staff technician on duty. If there is no answer, please leave a message and the technician will return your call, and you may report the leak to the technician. This reporting process should also be used to report any kind of sewer back-up or spill.